Thursday, November 28, 2013

National Day Of Thanks

Thanksgiving is a day of thanks that crosses all the boundaries that people build. Americans of all ethnic and religious backgrounds have embraced Thanksgiving and it is one of our universal national holidays. 

I am thankful for many things this year. Chief among them are all the friends and colleagues who have welcomed my family back to the North Coast with open arms. This move -- back across the country less than a year after moving away -- would have been impossible without the generosity and kindness of so many people in this community. There were times that my sanity was tested, but there was also someone there with a solution and a shoulder.

I am also grateful for some of the changes we found when we came back. I'm thankful that the new (to me) Wild Rivers Market is here, providing some products that used to require a trip to Arcata. I'm grateful for Vita Cucina's pizza nights, and for the ongoing delicious-ness of their open-faced roasted veggie sandwich. 

I am especially happy to be on the DNATL food team again. This is challenging work that makes me happy to go to the office (almost) every single day. It is meaningful, it requires thought and research and creativity, and it's one of the best jobs I can imagine.

Even though it didn't work out as a long-term situation, I am grateful for the time I got to spend in the northeast. It was my home for most of my young adulthood and I love many parts of it. As a family, we got to spend lots more time with my extended family and some of my closest friends. It was wonderful.

And now, we are back on the beautiful coast with the tallest trees in the world at our backs. I am grateful for every walk on the beach, every one of the beautiful small stones I pick up, time on the Smith, and each walk among the redwoods.

Life is good.

What are you thankful for this year?

No comments: